Monday, August 2, 2010

mountains and kilometers

I am sitting here on my balcony at this resort village in BC, Canada. I can turn my head 90 degrees and see at least 6 mountains, although Im not really sure what the difference is between a "mountain" and a "peak."

I got here yesterday evening with my parents, ben, monica, and annabelle. we left our house at like 5:30am and got to Calgary at about 1 pm our time. Delta sucks. dont fly delta. I mean AirTran has shitty service and over stuffed planes, but at least their flights are on time and they dont lose luggage. the only typical air travel problems I have ever had have been with Delta. this time around they lost Ben and my parents' bags. I dont know what kind of idiots Delta hires to handle their luggage, but I am pretty sure that Calgary is Not Salt Lake City nor Seattle.

anyway, on the bright side, I managed to upgrade my basic compact rental car to a nice Ford Fusion. On the weird side, driving at 120 kph is pretty weird.

The plains between Calgary and the mountains are cool. Monica and Annabelle rode with me, and we stopped for some photo ops, and at a gas station on this Reserve. I would call it ghetto but it wasnt in a city.

Today monica, mom and I went on a 10ish? kilometer hike up the creek valley. i saw bear crap, but no bears. the last grizzly sighting on that trail was apparently on July 18th at 9 am. this girl I talked to at breakfast this morning said that the bear have moved up in the mountains for the summer.

our condo is in this "ski resort village?" that is about 20 k up from the nearest town. it has restaurants, a liquor store, and is staffed by lots of brits and australians. we are higher up than the nearest town, but the nearest mountains to me are easily a couple thousand feet higher. there are a couple peaks in front of me, off in the distance, that are higher than that. the one still has snow on it.

in other news, i see that Lady Gaga said that abstinence from sex is essential to her creativity. I guess she's not very abstinent.

the only down side to this trip is that its put off my visa application for PC because I didnt have time to get it out before I left. hopefully I'll have time to do it when i get back.
i am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I am going to be leaving for Togo in a little over a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment