Saturday, July 3, 2010

I got to use an electric planer this morning. It was loads of fun. The sawdust spraying every where made me feel like I accomplished something

Now playing: Mustafa snoring

If you ever want to see man's effect on the environment, go to Home Depot or someplace like that and buy a premium 2x4x8'. they cost like $4. take it home. assuming that your house is at least 10 years old, punch a hole in your wall. Then compare the 2x4 you just bought with the ones holding up your house. the one you just bought will be shitty in comparison. it will be full of knots, possibly splintered, and will likely have a strip of bark down one corner.
Why is this? Logging companies harvest younger trees due to the fact that all the older timber is gone, or protected. in years past they have cut more mature trees, then replanted those areas. Now those areas are being harvested. The total amount of forested land, however, is still declining. If you go out west where there is a lot of logging, you can see this system in action. Here in indiana, its hard to look at a corn field and imagine that it used to be part of a woods.
Thus, to put it succinctly, the structural integrity of your house may be directly related to deforestation

I hate Nickleback. I hate their pseudo "grunge" corporate sell-out sound. I hate their whiny songs. I hate their lead singer's fat lips. I hate his "poor little rich rockstar me" emo lyrics. I hate that I think I can remember his name. I hate the fact I liked them when they first came out.

In other news, I got some plastic (polyethylene) barrels! Once my remodeling job is over, Im going to make sl e rain barrels! (i hope)


No comments:

Post a Comment