Thursday, July 8, 2010

Tails

I was at Borders a couple weeks ago and, while I was browsing in the sci-fi/fantasy anthologies, I found this book called Tails of Wonder and Imagination. Its an anthology of short stories that feature cats. Of course, being the cat fanatic that I am, I bought it.
There are sphinxs, manticores, humans that turn into cats, cats that turn into humans, tigers, lions, saber toothed tigers, and the Serpent in Garden of Eden who created cats because she was bored.
the problem with short stories collections in general is about 50% of the stories are ok, 35% are terrible, and 15% are good. like, in this collection, there was a sci-fi story by George RR Martin that featured a protagonist who loved cats. I ate that shit right up.
the problem with this collection in particular is that it involves a lot of cats being run over, gassed, eaten, dying of whatever, etc etc, because, apparently, a good part of the authorial world thinks that killing cats makes some kind of artistic statement. And the editor doesnt look like she gets laid often.
the book depressed the fuck out of me. Dont buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment